Saturday, January 3, 2009

Menu Planning

I have always had a vague idea in my head as to what we would eat from week to week, but I have never sat down and really nutted it out before. I simply made a list of the fresh produce we have this week and things that need to be used in the fridge and freezer. From that I made a list of the possible dishes we could have. Then each day, depending on how I was feeling I picked one. It wasn't exactly rocket science, but was quite rewarding as it meant less shopping and less waste.

This is how our week went
Sunday- pea, mint and zucchini risotto with lamb kebabs
Monday- BBQ Tandoori lamb with boiled baby potatoes and sauteed zucchini
Tuesday- pasta with fresh pesto and procuitto
Wednesday- cous cous salad with zucchini, cherry tomatoes, basil pesto and spring onions (to take out to share)
Thursday- Apricot chicken curry with carrots, zucchini and mashed potato
Friday- Spicy lamb kebabs with yoghurt dip and stuffed baby gem squash
Saturday- Vegetable curry (onion, potato, zucchini, carrot, pumpkin) thanks to a great Stephanie Alexander recipe from The Cooks Companion (think this one will be a regular as anything can be added depending on what is in season or leftover in the fridge)

Will certainly be sitting down later to nut things out for this week- only up until Friday as we will be heading to the coast for a few days with all my family- yay!

A batch of pesto ready for the freezer

The first of the mulberries from a lonely tree near an old shell of a mud brick home on the other side of the farm picked on New Years Day, managed to get back yesterday without the kids and pick 5 litres to freeze for later, hopefully will have time next week to pick another batch

My first two loaves from a great book my sister gave me for Christmas, it is called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day- we have been eating it for a week now and it is fabulous!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could freeze pesto! Thank you!